The Holiday season is a time for extremes. We do activities that we don’t undertake the rest of the year and we also take time to do nothing. It’s important to strike a balance between these two in order to maintain your back health. If you do over do it, be sure to call Major Chiropractic for an evaluation and possible chiropractic treatment. Here are some tips to help you maintain your back health.
- Everyone knows the saying, “Lift with your back, not your knees” and this is excellent advice.
- You should also remember to now lift more than you can comfortably. You can hurt your knees, back or neck if you overestimate your strength.
- When you are moving with heavy items remember to not twist your back. The pressure of the lift, combined with a twist can put you out of service for weeks. Don’t risk it. Get help!
- When your area has a heavy snowfall and you have to shovel the snow, take the time to do it the right way.
- Use a small shovel so that the weight of the snow doesn’t become overwhelming.
- Place one hand close to the scoop part of the shovel and one further up the handle when shoveling.
- Don’t twist your back to throw the snow, instead take a side step and empty your shovel.
- Be sure to stretch before going out and to do some easy activity to warm up your muscles.
We hope these tips prove helpful but if you over do it anyway, don’t hesitate to call us for an appointment.