Major Chiropractic in Wheaton offers multi-pronged services to help you deal with insomnia. There are often many factors contributing to insomnia. We can help you sort them out and improve your sleep habits. Our goal is for you to have a healthy, predictable sleep pattern.
If you suffer from insomnia, you know the frustrations well: you are exhausted but can’t sleep.
You might fall asleep, but then you can’t wake up in time for work or school. There are many steps you can take to help your sleep habits. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you try to regulate your sleep pattern:
- Use your bed for sleeping only. Using your bed for watching television or studying trains your brain to be alert while in bed. Teach your brain that your bed is for sleeping only, by doing other activities elsewhere.
- Go to bed drowsy. It is better to sit and read a book until you are sleepy than to stare at the ceiling for hours. Make sure you read a paper book, not an ebook, because electronic devices can disrupt your sleep cycle.
- You should have at least one, preferably two, hours between when your head hits the pillow and your last electronic activity.
- Many small electronic devices have light that is designed to mimic daylight. Checking your social media in the middle of a sleepless night is the same as looking out the window and seeing daylight. Your brain is tricked into thinking it is daytime and then it thinks that you should be awake.
- Minimize the number and brightness of the lights in your room, since your eyes will sense them and tell your brain to stay awake. Cover or turn off all devices that emit light, even a small digital clock can keep you up! All of that light adds up and tells your brain to wake up.
- Try a white noise machine to help you sleep. Look for a white noise machine with delta waves, which help the brain to enter a deep sleep.
Major Chiropractic can partner with you in your efforts to regulate your sleep pattern. Call today for an appointment.